Throughout each month in 2021, we will be praying and fasting through our membership covenant; asking God to help us be faithful to fulfill the things we have committed to as church members. These are commitments he has called us to live out together according to his word. Likewise, each month we will also be praying and fasting for significant cultural issues of our day and asking the Lord for his truth and righteousness to be known throughout the world.
Fasting Together: January 12, 2021
- Membership Covenant Topic(s): Being Committed to the Gathering
- Attending church faithfully (Hebrews 10:25)
- Worship Services
- Small Groups and Bible Studies
- Cultural Issue: Abortion
- Imploring the Lord to defend the defenseless
Fast begins after dinner on Monday (January 11), skip breakfast and lunch on Tuesday (January 12), then break the fast by eating dinner on Tuesday.
Read and Reflect:
For The Church
“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Heb 10:24–25
We have the joy and responsibility to help one another persevere in the faith until Christ returns or we depart. As we walk together, we aim to have the full assurance of faith which can only occur within the context of the local church. The body of Christ is God’s means of feeding, nourishing, protecting, growing, and affirming his people. Today, the belief that we can grow in our faith apart from local church fellowship is common, but it remains untrue and is the antithesis of God’s design. Even in a very difficult year in which we are unable to meet as freely and regularly as we would like, may we strive both in wisdom and commitment to fellowship together in Christ.
For the Unborn
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Gen 1:27
We want to be a body of believing Christians that is actively and corporately fasting and praying for the unborn. Each male and female is made in the image of the Living God; a common grace from the Lord for all humanity. The Scripture tells us that God fashions and knits and makes all men and women in the womb (Job 31:15; Ps 139:13–16), as he is the author of life (Acts 3:15). May each of us devote some time on Tuesday to making supplications on behalf of the defenseless who are susceptible to life-ending danger in the womb, for the sake of his name. May we cry out to the One who alone is able to continue life.
- Pray for the word to be broken rightly each week and for us to receive the word in faith.
- Pray that God would be glorified in this body of believers and that our faith in him would grow, producing a deeper and increasing love for one another.
- Pray that we would consider what God has designed for his people and continue to gather and spur one another on to love and good works.
- Pray that God would grant us wisdom for how to gather together during COVID-19.
- Pray that God would save lives in the womb, and that he would thwart the wickedness of man for his glory.
- Pray that God would save mothers and fathers considering abortion, and that they would raise their children to love and fear God.
God is able to do all these things!
Helpful Fasting Resources:
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer, John Piper
- "Fasting for Beginners" by David Mathis (Desiring God)
- "How Do I Delight Myself in the Lord?" by John Piper
- Fixing the Mind: A Guide to Meditation
Fasting From (Ideas):
- Social Media/News