February 9: Following the Son of Man (Matthew 8:18-22)
Now when Jesus saw a crowd around him, he gave orders to go over to the other side. And a scribe came up and said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” Another of the disciples said to him, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” And Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.” (ESV)
Jesus, following his display of authority over sickness and disease, now calls men and women to follow him in this coming kingdom. The crowds were large and the people willing to follow but few truly understood what it means to be a disciple of the Christ. In this passage, Jesus explains the road for those who want to follow. It is a challenging and difficult road but one that leads to joy and glory. In preaching this text it is easy for people feel condemned over their Christian lives. I do not desire this. It is a hard word but a good word. I desire to remind you of the demands but also of the delight of following Jesus. It is will not look the same for each person. Let us discern to see where we need to give thanks for his grace and to change to follow more faithfully.
Review and Apply
- Explain to another in your family of faith how Jesus called you to himself.
- What did you understand of the cost of following Jesus? How has that changed from today?
- Explain some false ways to follow Jesus. Are these present in your life of faith?
- What often slips into first place in your life that distracts you from true discipleship?
- What things/friendships/pleasures are you making primary that in five, ten or twenty years you will regret?
- What things/friendships/pleasures have you denied for the sake of the gospel? What encouraged you to do this?
- How does Jesus as the Son of Man empower you to walk this road following Jesus?
More in Blog
May 17, 2018May 20 - The Day of the LORD (Joel)
May 11, 2018May 13 - Let It Be To Me According to Your Word (Luke 1:26-38)
May 4, 2018May 6 - An Unfathomable Love (Hosea)